Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Is it a 1 or a 2 day?

This morning, my alarm went off at 6:15. I hit it hard with the back of my hand and went back to sleep. I meant to hit snooze - sort of - but apparently I turned of off all together. I didn't wake until 7:20 and felt behind schedule before even lifting the duvet.

My dog was snuggled close to me because the radiator in my bedroom packed-up a while back and even after 'bleeding' it doesn't work. The term 'bleeding' the radiator seemed so dramatic I was excited - I was told a whoosh of air and steam would pour out and anything a from a trickle to a slow stream of water. Instead, when I unlocked the bolt I heard the very faintest whisper of noise, like a sigh from a 1 day-old baby dove and not a even the tiniest puff of steam. However, since it is stone cold and dead to me, I think the term 'bleeding' is appropriate - it' got nothing inside - lifeless.

I swear. I woke up in the middle of the night, stuck my head out of the covers and could see my breath - in the dark no less. Perhaps a dreamy hallucination. I felt as if my head was encased in an ice cap. I should have worn a hat to bed. It's amazing how the radiators everywhere else in the house can be cooking along steadily and not even remotely warm my bedroom. I have stone walls and the cold stays put - a benefit in the summer, a death sentence in winter.

Even before taking Bunny Dog for his morning walkies, I tore through the storage closets in the loft looking for the two small space heaters I once had. I am going crazy because I know they will mysteriously appear when I buy more of them.

If I had a real man in my life, I am sure he would make it his mission to fix the radiator. I guess 'real man' is not the right thing to say. I should say - if I had 'a man who was in a relationship with me to the point where I'd let him fiddle with me radiator'. You see, I've been on two meetings (not dates per se) with this Doctor who, up to now, has been - potentially - more than a friend. However, he's so boring, I can't exactly get excited about another date with him. He has described, at length, over the phone, what I should do to fix my radiator. However, he's just not savvy enough, or brave enough or cheeky enough - or - go on then - say it - interested enough - to offer to come over and fix it himself in a true act of manly bravery. No radiator Gladiator. Perhaps he won't be more then a friend. I want a man with a toolbelt and a plunger handy. And if they don't have a tool belt, at least someone who can improvise!

The Doctor: A 46 year-old Doctor working for a major Chemical company as their resident poison expert. British, living outside Brussels. Divorced, two boys. He's a lovely - man - who - speaks - very - deliberately - one - word - at - a - time. As if each and every thing out of his mouth has been analyzed, processed and should be delivered with such precision and reverence to make sure the receiver notes how intelligent and important the sender is. It just drives me mad and I have an inkling that it doesn't get better - I think he's got one other speed and it's slower.

Now my Welsh friend, he would have sorted it the second he got wind of the problem. I miss him so. He is such a good friend. He worked for the European Commission and was endlessly entertaining by relating the stupidity and bureaucracy at the EC. He was in the Fisheries department having been a Trawler Captain for many years in his past. He moved back to Wales to be near to his elderly father and spend more time with his 3 lovely daughters who live with his ex-wife near London. His long-term plan is to open a B&B in Ireland and play music. He plays guitar, occasionally lets his hair get too long and wears a braided copper bracelet to ward off arthritis - he says. I think it's a throwback to his college days when read English Literature, played in a band and wrote poetic lyrics. He should be coming back to visit soon. I can't wait to make him a special dinner. Definitely someone nice to cook for. Hmm.

On the way to the office, I contemplate whether it's a 1 or a 2 day. And I decide that it's a 2 day. I mean, I woke in the cold, was late and everything. So, I deserve 2 croissants. And I shall have them.