Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Food TV Season


When I was home in the states for Christmas, I watched the Food Network non-stop. The Food network drives me insane because they have this cast of regulars - like 10 chefs who do cooking shows which they broadcast over and over again ad nauseam. Only a few of them are what I consider to be excellent cooks - a couple of them are OK cooks, but have egos so big who cares if they can cook at all?

I will say this. Giada di Laurentiis is not such a hot cook. Yes, she's a little hot tamale with low cut, Spandex tops, which make men drool and slobber, but she is not really worthy of 3 prime time Food Network programmes. She also has the most annoying habit of speaking in the most American accent ever, then pronouncing every Italian word with an overdone Italian accent. 'I'm gonna put some butter in here and then saute the 'PINCHETTTTAAAA' with olive oil. Then I'll toss it around with the 'SPAHHH GITTTI' and grate a bunch of 'PARME SHAAANNOOO REGGGI AAANNO' over the top'. Ugh. She's revolting. And has anyone noticed that her arms are too short for her body??? Just me I guess.

Don't get me started on Mario Batali. Fat-arsed egomaniac. Drunken slob. Pretty darned good chef, but what an a-hole!!

Who ever thought Paula Dean would be a hit? Just how many recipes do you know require crushed Ritz crackers and a package of Jell-O custard mix? Now that she's on 6 times a day - 'A whole bunch y'all!! And is there anyone more sexually suggestive than Paula when she's cooking up her braised Oxtail? (or anything) 'Y'all want a taste of mah tail? Hee hee! Y'all shore do I know!!' Yeesh! And that husband of hers - looks like the Uncle guy from Dukes of Hazzard!

I like Michael Chiarello. Easy entertaining - he has really good ideas for parties and he's a normal guy. And not too tough on the eyes either. He can cook in my kitchen any day.

Tyler Florence (Shown Above) - scrumptious. Truly. I like his Ultimate series. Where he'll make everyday things but with the very best ingredients and using the coolest techniques. Like Spaghetti and meatballs - they looked so good, I ran downstairs and started to make them myself - then changed my mind and ordered them from the local Italian restaurant for dinner. Tyler is so manly in the kitchen. He's deliberate and fast and un-fussy. OK - he can eat crackers in my bed.

Barefoot Contessa - Ina Garten - good cook. Super annoying giggle when company arrives to eat the food. So annoying.

Bobby Flay - so so. I do like his food and his cooking style, but he is just a bit too smarmy for me - I get the impression he's a real slimy guy off camera. Don't know why I think that, I just do. He also seems like he's bored to death with the food network routine and needs a new challenge. His appearances on Iron Chef America are ridiculous - And since the American version is all scripted and rehearsed, it's a waste of time anyway...

OK - don't be surprised. I know her chirpy voice and super effort at trying to be up-beat and perky is frustrating - but Rachel Ray can cook. She can really cook. She also has a million good tips on making your life more conducive to everyday cooking. I like her tips on cleaning and preparing veg and herbs and storing them. I like her tips on what to have on hand in the pantry, freezer and fridge. I even like her garbage bowl on the counter. You can tell that her ideas come from the fact that she really cooks at home and eats at home. She does stuff we can all do. No fancy ingredients, no over-the-top methods. Just good plain ideas on how to fancy-up regular food and feed families and friends with ease, style and grace. And a bit of EVOO. (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)

Ahh. Soon the BBC will have their winter foodie shows - lucky me - I can start complaining about those chefs!