Wednesday, August 30, 2006

See -Through

I have been checking the Brussels Airport web site for a week - hoping and praying that they relax the hand luggage restrictions for direct flights to the United States. There's been some progress in that laptops are allowed, but still, one must take only essentials in a clear plastic bag - how attractive.

The web site says that all passengers for a US bound flight must arrive at the airport 4 hours before their flight. Zaventem (The name of the Brussels airport) is pretty disorganised as a rule - being that it's Belgian. But 4 hours?

On my way to Dublin a few weeks ago it took over an hour to get through security and get to the terminal. I kept hopping between lanes hoping for a fast-moving line only to get stuck behind a slow poke. A group of elderly Japanese ladies - who clearly posed a major security threat were practically strip-searched. I felt like a supervisor was watching when I went through - the security guards actually did a good job. I even saw the monitor guy watching the monitor as it was scanning the hand luggage (Which you could take with you then) Instead of watching poor people, disrobe, de-belt, de-key, de-coin and de-shoe like they usually do - I have to admit, it's fascinating watching how people deal with the small but necessary humiliations forced upon us.

OK - all my essentials in a plastic, see-though baggie. Nice. Very chic. Luckily, I have OK skin and I cannot put make-up on anyway so I can live without lippie and blush for a mere 12 hours. (Because I suck at putting on and wearing make-up, not because I can't). I don't know how those ladies with crap skin will feel having to be exposed to the airport passengers at 35,000 feet without cover-up - all spotty and shiny. Are mints essential? How about candy bars?

The other day I wandered around the department stores and soap on a rope shops (like Body Shop) looking for a clear plastic handbag - a chi chi make-up or gift set perfume bag. Or one of those you might get from an aunt at Christmas - filled with pink body lotion, pink bubble bath, pink body shampoo, a loofa and a nail brush - usually called something like 'Tea Rose Berry Fusion Fantasy collection'. I wanted to have a cute see-through hand bag and imagined that all the other women passengers in the airport would be asking 'Oooh, where did you get your bag?'. But alas. When you need something like that, you can never find it. >>>> Note to self - check the My Little Kitty section of the toy store down the street.

So today am working at home because Bunny Dog is getting picked up for 'Camp' between 1100 and 1300. I have never been away from Bunny Dog more than 8 or 9 days I think. And then he's always been lovingly cared for by Lara. He's been able to stay in his own home and keep to his routine with dog walker et al. I am a bit apprehensive. I hope the 'Camp Counsellor' has time to hear my detailed instructions for Bunny dog when he comes to pick him up. He's a spoiled dog. Not my fault - not sure how he got that way....

OK - have a lot of work to finish and two MAJOR conf calls and a presentation to get through before I can focus on final packing and getting sorted for my 8 am journey tomorrow to the Airport hell that awaits me.

Next instalment from 'The Other Side of the pond'.

:-))