Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Hottie

Sweet baby Jesus and the orphans - it's hot over here! And it's a hot like 'DC hot' except without air conditioning - at all.

I went over to the mall at lunch to try and cool off in some of the stores - I had already tried the grocery store in the basement of the mall - There were quite a few of us hanging around the freezer section too long - keeping the doors open, making the chocolate mousse ice cream sandwiches melt. So they kind of shooed us out - made like they really had to unpack stock right then and there. yeah, right...

It's the kind of hot where nothing is cool enough to cool you down. Like your core temperature is overheated and about to blow. My fan blows warm air on me - when there's a breeze, it's warm, used up, hot, waste air.

Bunny Dog is hopefully cooler at home - the downstairs floor is tiled and usually quite cool in Summer - well, it was before they cut the trees. Now I go home at the end of the day and it's only a degree or two cooler than outside - still, it's something. Bunny Dog has water in three places in the house. I figure he will drink until he's hydrated and lie on the tiles trying to keep cool. He's also got fans on - I am extra conservative when it's not so hot - I need to use all the fans when it is. He's been putting his paws in his water bowl after his midday walk and printing the house with paw marks - lovely. Show's how hot his little feet get.

I think about one of my first blogs done in January - when it was so cold I could see my breath in the middle of the night while lying in bed. I purchased this kick-ass heater that made me feel as if the sun was right in my bedroom. I could get warm then. I could get results.

Wet paper towel on the forehead is nice. On the arms, nice, on my neck, nice. I let the wet paper get cool in the breeze of the fan and then plaster it to myself. I wish there was an open fire hydrant outside the office. I could use a break to tip toe in cool water. Are there fire hydrants in Brussels?? No, I think they're underground...

I whinge about the heat, but that's not fair. What about the elderly people sitting alone in baking-hot apartments with no respite from the heat at all? - Without the strength and money to do something about it. I have water, I have means. I will be fine. What do I know about suffering, going without water, being hot and dirty all the time? I know nothing of that. There's a local community service which supplies fans and water to those in need. I think I will stop by there on the way home tonight. I can afford to help.

A shout-out to my friend Ed - who is tasked with documenting the horrors of yet another Tsunami in Indonesia. Ed takes pictures of people - he helps us understand the depths of grief, sadness and desperation people experience in this harsh world - while at the same time, he captures the essence of human nature - the willingness of humans to endure, love and heal. Thanks and be careful Ed.