Monday, June 19, 2006

My World Cup Runneth over

I am in a fog concerning the World Cup. Football is swirling all around me and yet I don't see anything, can't quite make out what's coming next.

Every apartment is alight with the reflected flickering of their TV screens. Groans and moans and cheers and jeers can be heard rippling through the alleyways and streets - as if a rumble is just around the corner, everywhere. Parks and squares with big screen TVs set up are jammed with double-fisted beer drinkers and colourful jerseys, flags, scarves, and face paint. And for the first time ever, I really don't feel like I am missing anything.

Since Germany is only a couple hours away, there are a lot of World Cup fans staying in Belgium. Cheaper. Huge groups of middle-aged Swedish men roam in packs going from bar to bar. England supporters gird themselves with St. George crosses on their jerseys, faces - everything - someone asks me if they can paint the St. George cross on Bunny Dog for the match Tuesday - gee, I'll have to think about it. Um, NO!

I met some friends out on Saturday night and everyone was wishing me luck. What on earth for? (the other shoe drops) Oh, USA v Italy. Well, really, there's no contest is there? Italy and all Italians assume that they will wipe USA off the planet. Naturally. Football is not a sport in USA - not really - they think.

I don't care, I really don't care. I am not 'in' to footie. When I moved to Europe, I thought I would give it a chance. Then I realised that there was too much to learn. So many clubs, so many teams, so many countries, so many leagues, so many tournaments so many matches, so many - too much! Even Belgium has like 3 football leagues and this is a tiny country! Too complicated.

I know some of the biggies - Ronaldinho, Beckham, Rooney..well OK - I know 3 biggies. But I don't know any USA players - sorry.

So we (USA) tied with Italy that night - much to the Italians' collective chagrin. They felt that a proper bashing of a team like USA would make them feel more secure when they had to face a 'real' football team. Grown men - almost in tears over a draw - I am not exaggerating.

With zero effort on my part, I was on the 'Not-winning-but-not-losing-team'. I was on the team that ALMOST won against Italy - (we had a second goal that was rejected because it was offside)- But we got in the zone time and time again. A threat. Now - remember, I don't care about this stuff at all....

The fog is lifting a bit - a group of handsome Italian men have just come over to flirt with me and communicate to Bunny Dog. (this dog is one great party trick). One of the Italian supporters asks where I am originally from.....dare I?