Thursday, April 27, 2006

A Wonky Day

It's one of those days - everything seems a bit off.

I had a hard time getting out of bed this morning - not usually an issue for me. I usually can't resist the wagging tail and happy-to-see-me eyes from my dog - nor his padding around the bedroom urging me to get up and walk him. This morning it felt as if I had lead weights in my arms and legs. I went to sleep at a very respectable time and had a good 8 hours of kip.

Out in the world with Bunny Dog, on the way to the park I realised that indeed, it was as if the world shifted 2 centimetres to the left overnight or went just a wee bit wonky. Missteps, stumbles, missed curbs, bumping in to doors. I wasn't the only one. Bunny dog walked into the wall in the hallway. I saw a woman hesitate, then try to cross the street, then hesitate in the middle, back and forth 3 times before she realised the light had turned and the traffic was waiting - just a bit off and undecided today. A fellow dog-owner off balance and getting pulled-down by his Chihuahua in the park, a crow missing a branch and free falling for a few seconds before flapping to safety.

On the way to the office, saw a woman limping strangely - her heel had come off her shoe. (been there) I went to pay for my fruit at Metroshop and a pen flew out of my bag, skimmed across the cashier's face and under her chair. The produce woman knocked a 7 foot high stack of plastic crates over with a crash. Lots of people who haven't combed their hair, lots of buttons in the wrong buttonholes, uneven, skewed.

When crossing the road in front of my office, a truck came thundering by, it's front wheel crunching and snapping something with such violence I jumped and shielded my face. A tube of lip balm, chapstick, hit just right. Snapped and cracked and the little plastic lid projected like a rocket and as dangerous as a rubber bullet. Sirens moaning on and off for seconds here and there. A plane that sounds like it's too low, on an unfamiliar path. A helicopter in the distance - over the European Commission area. The Anglican Church Bells - usually every quarter of the hour, ringing at 8:37 am. Goose bumps and a feeling that I forgot something important.

The sun can't quite decide if it wants to come out. It's not grey, it's not raining, it's not partly cloudy, it's not partly sunny. It's not cold, not really warm. It's white out there. Wonky.

Maybe there are some days meant for staying in bed. Skip getting up all together. Lie and contemplate our navels, hug one another, stare at the ceiling and listen to the birds. Say nothing at all. Stop and recharge our souls, relax, breathe deeply, appreciate.