Monday, March 27, 2006

Spring weekend

Saturday night Bunny Dog and I had plans to meet up with an Irish friend and her boyfriend. She had been put out of work last October when the establishment she worked for closed - She passed along her CV to me. I was able to share it with some colleagues and they found her a great job - she has been gainfully employed since then. First Bunny Dog and I met with Lara to hear about her 4-day whirlwind trip to LA for the Premier of Ice Age II. Then we hopped over to the Pub to meet my Irish friends. Bunny Dog was the toast of the evening as usual. He was cute and sweet and everyone was playing with him. We got home by midnight and slept heavily.

Sunday I decided it was time to work on the garden. All of my planters are ready for spring flowers. The daffodils are just starting to bloom on the side bed by the trees. I spent an hour turning the soil and aerating it. I sprinkled a whole large box of grass seed on the soil, mixed it up lightly and then tamped it down. The whole time, Bunny Dog was chasing the hoe, the rake, and me. He was flying all around the garden in pure glee. I then soaked the soil because it looked like it wasn't going to rain. Bunny Dog hiding at the far reaches of the garden so as not to get wet. He acts like an angel when the hose is turned on.

After the garden was finished I basically chased the dog with the mop because he insists on tracking mud all through the house. Whew.

A nice surprise, two very good friends came to town to walk through my local fete and watch the parade. She is Bunny Dog's groomer. (Tuesday, he will have his yearly hair cut). The parade was a bit disappointing because I think several usual contingents opted out on the threat of rain. The clowns on crazy bikes were missing - one of my favourites - they usually coax people in the crowd on to the bikes. However, it didn't rain - the parade was a bit paltry with 7 or 8 groups - old Belgian militia men, the pre-requisite Caribbean carnival-themed dancers and stilt walkers, a Peruvian troop, Belgian jesters throwing blood oranges to the crowd - a springtime Belgian tradition.

There were at least 7 vendors selling smoked, dried cured hams from the Ardennes. Traditional artisanal butchers. I bought some smoked wild boar - it is amazing - and nicely flavoured, reminds me of soft biltong. We shared a sausage off the grill which had anise seeds in the mix - so good. We had tiny fried fish with paprika, fresh grapes and Spanish strawberries.

We went back to my house for a bit. Bunny Dog was so happy to hang out with his dog groomer and she kept reminding him that he won't feel the same way after Tuesday - when she yanks his hair out in what is a relatively painful process for a terrier. it can be a bit traumatic - I think she will get bitten. Two other friends came over - it was so great to see them. They are getting married in June and had just come from a wine tasting to chose wines for their reception. I served what I had on-hand - hoummous and spiced olives, some sliced cured ham and wild boar. Was really nice.

Now, today...
Monday, mundane. Grey, stuffy, 'close' as the Brits would say.