Monday, March 20, 2006

Pop-Tart

I pretend I don't miss home anymore - but I really do. I miss my family and friends of course. And I miss the things I took for granted. Like 7-11's, Target, Wal-Mart and HUGE grocery stores in basically every neighborhood.

Over here we expats all have our cravings. Saffas (South Africans) miss their Biltong and NuttyCrust biscuits, Irish miss their colcannon, bacon and proper soda bread. English miss their breakfasts with fries and beans and good tea. I had an Oz(Aussie) boyfriend here once. He was a vegan and all serious about it. But when I went to England for work, he used to beg me to get some WagonWheels for him - they're large, soft oatmeal-cookie sandwiches with marshmallow cream in between. Delightful crap.

When I was home for Christmas last, I bought Pop Tarts to take back to Belgium with me. I thought my friends here would get a huge kick out of them. They're so gross and delicious. However, I hit a snag. Literally. My suitcase zipper split and I had to take one of my parent's extra cases. It was smaller than my own case and I had to jettison non-essential stuff. I had an agonizing decision. Was it worth it to stuff them in to the case and have them smashed to bits? Or not have them at all? (Forget the Listerine too - that just takes way too much room - it's more expensive than petrol gallon for gallon in Belgium - so I got a couple huge bottles from Santa). I had to leave some treasured clothes behind as well - definitely not a spare inch for Pop-Tarts.

My best friend hopped a last minute flight from Brussels to LA on Saturday. Her sister won a radio contest and the prize was two tickets to LA for the premier of Ice Age 2, Hotel on Hollywood Blvd, dinners, tours of the star's homes etc.

So, some good things DO happen. ( After losing a €40 million account last week I wasn't so sure)

She asked me that question. 'Do you want me to get anything for you from the states?'

Well, I sho do!

Where do I begin? Any or all of the below....

Twizzlers - red only
Nutter Butter Peanut Butter Sandwich cookies
just warming-up......
Cap'n Crunch
See above - with Crunch Berries
Fiddle Faddle
Turtles - caramel, nuts
Entenmann's cake donuts
Hostess Apple Pies with the shellac of glazed sugar
While visiting the Hostess rack, why not pick up some Choc Cup Cakes and Ho-Ho's?
And on to the Pop-Tarts

Frosted Cherry and Frosted Strawberry - do not return with the UN-Frosted - what would be the point in that?
:-))