Monday, March 06, 2006

Wai U So Dim?

On the way home from work, I found myself in Brussels 'China Town' - or rather on 'China Street'. I had to go to the Asian supermarket to stock up on Mirin (rice wine), good Japanese soy sauce (The Chinese brands seem too strong to me) and other basic ingredients.

I can't be in an Asian shop without getting a craving for dim sum. I am so addicted to the staple dim sum like shu mai, (pork dumplings), har gow (crystal shrimp dumplings, and baby bao (small steamed rice flour buns with filling) that I go sort of nuts when in the shop. If only I had a freezer, I would have dim sum all the time - (we will discuss the freezer issue another time).

I used to live on chausee de Boondael in Ixelles - there's a small shop run by a couple - she's from China, he's from Vietnam. They make some of the best dim sum in the city. They make fresh batches all week and load them in to their freezer. Their shrimp balls are so good - you can taste the pieces of shrimp held together with a mousse-like consistency. They make those delicious stuffed chicken wings (I do love anything chicken) but these are so scrumptious. Cellophane noodles, minced pork, veg all tightly tucked in - just heat them in the oven for 20 minutes and they are to die for. They even have rice crepes - shrimp, pork and vegetable.

Anyway, since I was being teased by the dim sum in the shop on Friday, I decided to call Lara and see if she would come over for dinner. I scooped up several varieties of the standard frozen packages of dim sum - not the best, but definitely acceptable. I found a 5-pack of crisp, green, fresh, baby Pak Choi, fresh bean sprouts, Chinese broccoli, and thin, long, green onions.

That night I set up my steamer with the broccoli, pak choi, green onions and fresh ginger on one layer, and a large selection of har gow, shu mai, pot sticker-shaped dumplings with pork and ginger, chicken bao and rice crepes on another layer. I made a few dipping sauces: Soy sauce and sambal with a couple shakes of sesame oil; loempia sauce (better known as won-ton dipping sauce)with some hot sauce mixed in, and a light sauce with rice wine vinegar, sugar, scallions and grated ginger. I steamed the vegetables and sprinkled sesame oil over them.

What a meal. As much as I love dim sum, the vegetables were fantastic too! Luckily, I had enough of the vegetables to have several helping of them over the weekend. I just steamed them in the Microwave - (yes, I now have a microwave - I know, I know. But my lovely Russsian housekeeper and her sweet husband gave it to me for Christmas). It's perfect for steaming - in fact, this weekend is the only time I've ever used it. I think I will do more of that.

Another great place to get a nice variety of freshly made dim sum in Brussels- is at Woluwe Shopping centre. Their dim sum has to be steamed right away as it's not frozen - or it must be re-heated within a reasonable time-frame. It's on the bottom floor, there's a shop where you may sit and eat in - or carry out. It's really good and fresh.

Dim Sum reminds me of Sunday brunch with my Mom. When I am home in DC, we drive across the Key Bridge to a great dim sum place on the bottom floor of a huge office building. There's loads to choose from. Hot steam carts are pushed around the room in droves. The place is packed with Chinese, young couples, families, and groups of friends. It can be tricky to catch the waiter's attention and get him/her to wheel the cart over to your table before they run out and have to go back to the kitchen for re-stocking. Well respected family members at round tables just lift their heads and the waiters stream over to them as if called by their masters. My Mom is pretty darn good at getting their attention.

Dim Sum traditionally comes in portions of two to three pieces. So if Mom and I go by ourselves, there's usually one piece of each variety left. We save these to take home for Dad to munch on after he gets back from Church and his lay ministry work at the nursing home. He microwaves them!

I have to say that dim sum is probably one of the most important comfort foods to me. I always picture my Mom's face when the cart with Chinese custard pies goes by. It's her favourite and the person walking that cart doesn't get past my Mom easily.
It reminds me that my Mom is a really strong force not just in my life, but in nature. Lucky for me - I get all that and really good dumplings too.