Thursday, February 09, 2006

Rules are made to be broken

I can't wait.

One of my best friends is coming down from London this weekend. She's an Aussie who is tons of fun. We will go out with the gorgeous Lara and cause a little trouble Saturday night. Who am I kidding? We will rip Brussels to shreds!

Aussie Girl arrives Friday evening on the Eurostar and we will stay home and have finger food and Cosmopolitan cocktails. Listen to music, prep for the next night. I want to serve yummies like endive stuffed with gorganzola and toasted walnuts, little whole wheat blinis with sour cream and smoked salmon and chives, smoked mussels on skewers with a spicy dipping sauce, black olive and Parmesan toasties, shrimp wrapped in bacon with bleu cheese and cheese stuffed roasted scotch bonnet peppers - you know, stuff like that - yummies! Well, some of those types of things - not all of them!

Saturday evening, we will meet Lara at our regular Tapas place. My favourite tapas is a slice of roasted pork tenderloin on a hunk of herbed baguette. I also love the chorizo sausages with melted manchego cheese. Besides being super tasty, it's good barrier food for a night on the town. Our place serves tapas by conveyor belt and the closer your stools are to the kitchen, the better the selection - you get the good stuff first. If you have the patience, you can march up to the open kitchen and order what you want hand delivered, which takes ages. They have tons of wine by the glass with really clear, easy descriptions of how they taste and what food matches them best. There's a glass window front and you can see the street, feel the action.

After tapas it's mints. Loads of them

Then - no rules!

Dancing, flirting, you name it. Yeah yeah, I talk big. But hey, last time I went out with the girls I picked up a band! Yes, a band. They're called Simple Plan. Was fun - hung out with the sound technician dude until 6 am the next morning and still e-mail with him to this day.

I have notified every 'single' guy I know in Brussels to get them out for a drink - It works too! Nothing like announcing that the girls are on the prowl to get the men folk moving! I also like to stir things up a bit...

Even though I say 'no rules', there are still a few.

One: Aussie Girl is not to get picked-up and snogged by another US Marine on duty at NATO. She's been there, done that. No matter how much she whines about it. No Marines. Two: Aussie Girl may not, under any circumstances, try to flirt with the acoustic Guitar player at Celtica - especially while he's in the middle of a set. No distracting winks, shakes, nods, blown kisses, free drinks, bared skin - nada!

I have included and ex- boyfriend of Lara's on my invite list. After a few drinks exes have been known to re-kindle their passions and forgive and forget for the time being. Rule three: If they even so much as touch one another (lips, hands or anything) - I am stopping that train wreck immediately!

The fourth rule is always the same. Forget about rules one through three on the night and let things happen as they happen.

Hmm, I shall have some stories to tell next week.....