Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Master of The Universe

A man in Israel is giving me a very difficult time.

He is one of my customer contacts, but I think he was a bit put out because I didn't immediately recognize his position as being master of the universe. He is not involved with any customer sites we service and is merely in a communication position.

I got in early Monday morning to find an e-mail with a conf call date and bridge time for later that day. I was not aware that we had a conf call, but that is of no consequence to the 'master of the universe'. All shall make way for the 'master'...

The agenda said we were to discuss issues that escalated at the customer site over the weekend. I of course, panicked and called all of the sites and asked the internal staff what had gone wrong. No real answer, a few speculative ideas, but nothing earth-shattering.

When I got on the call with the 'master of the universe', I asked what the seriously escalated issues were. Guess what? He didn't know. He merely called a meeting to tell me to call the customer and follow-up with him. That's it. In order to prove his masterful mastering of this powerful universe, he told me in 8 different ways in the course of a 7 minute conf call to follow-up with the customer. Got it 'Master'. Understood 'Master'...Sorry you had to take the time to set up a conf call (even without knowing any information to talk about) in order to make sure I knew who was the 'master of the universe'.

I wouldn't let him have the satisfaction of playing this game - I wasn't in the mood. So he realized that I wasn't impressed with him or his impression of 'master of the universe' routine - this pissed him right off!!

Last week, in a conf call with the people that actually know what they are talking about, and are involved in the work, we all agreed to get a document to them by Friday Jan 20th.

In an 'I am Master of the Universe, I will make your life hell' way, today Mr. Israel pushed the due date up a day as it suited him better to receive it on Thursday - get this - mentioning in a very snide tone 'You do know we don't work on Fridays in Israel...you do know that don't you?'. Hmm. Now playing hard ball. Why yes, I do sir. In fact our whole point in getting it out on Friday is that everyone would have a day to review it before the conf call on Monday - And in fact because you work on Sunday, you have the time. Caught him again - he didn't like it.

He's like a dog with a bone. I get no less than 3 mails a day saying that 'it is due Thursday no later than noon', 'you will deliver Thursday no later than noon', 'it will be Thursday or else'.

So, I started copying his big big boss - a very reasonable, honest, nice man. I wondered what the real 'master of the universe' would do when he saw that some low-life, peon who doesn't have a clue is trying to impersonate him. I love this crap!! Oh I love men who have nothing to do but try to wield their power- especially when they have none! Ha

Oh well, I feel better. I am ignoring the guy - have been professional and nice and pleasant. He is boiling under his skin

Just spoke to the person who escalated the problem. He says he doesn't even know the fake Master of the Universe :-))