Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Bliss

What a wonderful weekend.

Friday evening I took Bunny dog with me to meet Lara at Kitty O'Shea's. I had asked a few other friends to join, but only one other showed up - her ex. It was fine though. We talked about work stuff - mostly about the labor situation in Europe and things related to that. I am so lucky to have friends who generally do very interesting things - I learn from them.

Bunny dog was running around off his leash and flirting with a group of 35-40 year old blonde secretaries from the European Union. Every time he came around the pillar and headed towards the bar they squealed and begged him over saying how cute he was. I had to have several 'discussions' with him about the fact that he was brought along to chat up MEN not women - useless animal.

All of a sudden it was 10:30 and I felt as if I were on the deck of a fishing boat in a very windy storm. Oh, no, I had eaten no dinner. I had slurped a couple plonky glasses of wine which were hitting my stomach like acid. Bad move.

So Lara and I made it our quest to go to the kebap place near my house. She ordered for both of us. I stood chatting with my neighbour who we had bumped in to on the metro. He walked around the neighbourhood with us and ended up coming in for a glass of wine and to continue our chat. I swear to god, the next time I looked at my watch it was 4 am. I almost screamed - how on earth did the time pass by so quickly. I shoo-ed the neighbour out and washed the remainder of my kebap down with ice-cold Evian. Bunny dog was so 'down for the count' and out of it he could hardly move - he had to be coaxed upstairs for sleep.

Saturday morning, I got up early enough to walk Bunny dog and grab some croissants from the best bakery in the neighbourhood - La Maison de la Tarte - back in time to see the Saturday cooking shows. I slurped very sweet, very milky tea (a habit learned from my ex rasied in Southern Africa) and crispy, chewy, light croissies. Heaven.

Saturday evening I was lucky enough to be invited to dinner by two friends (a couple)at their home. They live outside of Brussels - in Grimbergen - just on the edge of the outer city limits where industrial estates turn in to true farmland. Tiny villages dotted in between canals and bridges. They have a sweet house in the town which they are renovating. However, the minute you walk in, it feels warm and lovely and comfortable.

He is obsessed with old wood-burning heaters that are meant to stand in your living room. He collects them - the one he has put in the main room is ornate black iron and heats the place so nicely - a warm, toasty heat like there's bread in the oven. She has two large Belgian Bouvier dogs who are rather sophisticated older ladies. Ucalele is blind and not so well, and Wibke is old, but spritely and chipper. Both of them completely ignored Bunny Dog much to his chagrin.

These friends are really special to me. He has been a close friend since I moved here 6 years ago. We have always had this great affinity for Sunday afternoon talks - with him usually hanging out until dinner is in front of him. Then he started dating the girlfriend - and things usually change after stuff like that. But that didn't change and now both of them are good friends. You know, it's not often that a single person can hang with a couple for hours on end without feeling like an intruder. The two of them never make me feel uncomfortable and they truly welcome me and we all enjoy one another's company. A lot of laughing, old stories, re-told, re-enacted, embellished.

She made such a wonderful dinner. Starting with appetizer - salmon and fish salad on tiny fish-shaped crispy crackers. Champagne to accompany.

After a brief rest, she brings out a huge pot of spectacularly tasty, homemade leek soup (a Belgian Specialty) - made with the winter variety of leeks from her Father's garden. Creamy, peppery, fresh, green.

After another rest she made salmon and sea bass filets baked with carrots, onions, leeks, tomatoes, cream and white wine served with peeled, boiled Charlotte potatoes - the best Belgian variety.

Believe it or not, a tarte with winter red and black currants and raspberries followed. Green tea.

What a spectacular, lovely evening. Bunny dog and I were thoroughly spoiled. What a treat.

Sunday, slept off the last vestiges of a pleasant meal. Dog out, picked-up a croissant for breakie with a cup of tea. Back to bed, Bunny dog leaning on me with his paws up in the air. Me ploughing through a good book. Sun trying to break through the clouds.

One of the last quiet, cold, snuggle-in-bed-late, weekends before the birds start their twittering, noisy spring cleaning.