Tuesday, April 04, 2006

It never really goes away

18 years or so, I think
since I last saw you
you came to my apartment in Glover Park after college
once
and maybe to Mom and Dad's house
once

Thoughts of our first encounter even many years before then
when I was sixteen and you were seventeen
young and sweet

You chased me
Preppy, Lilly-Pulitzer-trousered, handsome young man
Working for Senator Kennedy
Me for Senator Inouye
Flowers
Dates
You got me

You were the opposite of boys in town
Georgetown Prep and Gonzaga boys were a little bit tough, a bit dirty
You were clean, fresh, lime scented, eager, smart, foreign, from Frenchtown

There's a picture of us in my storage boxes
You and your brother, me in the middle
Sun kissed happy kids in Maine
Toothy smiles, wind -blown hair

Back then you sent pages and pages
of single-spaced love letters in many volumes
phone calls, visits
learning, testing, trying

The love of my life
peaked too soon?

Grew apart
Me at University and then work
You with the 82nd Airborne to University then work
Worlds apart
Only hours away

Now years, success, life and the real distance of an ocean
between us

A few months ago I saw one of the most handsome men I've ever seen
Reminded me of you
Still, it's been ages since I have seen your face
I'm glad I got in touch

Now we talk regularly long-distance
grown up
experienced
still searching - as you say

I am your friend and always will be
I love you and always will
You should know this
And I think you do