Saturday, June 10, 2006

The Big Dipper

Last night I had dinner with my dear friend Laura who is Catalan. We don't see one another often enough - That has to change - We are friends for life and I have to work on that as we all must.

She and I went to the new Portuguese restaurant in my neighbourhood. Her father is extremely ill and I could tell by her face that it wasn't good news. Her father had polio as a child and has severe problems with diabetes. A few weeks ago, Doctors had to remove his 'good' foot - ie. the one that wasn't stricken weak from childhood diabetes. There's nothing to be said about the pain of that situation - there's a long uphill struggle for the whole family.

The Portuguese restaurant was an elixir for unhappiness last night. The restaurant is so new! Last night was it's 4th operating night - and it showed! Aside from the fact that dinner took an hour and a half to arrive in front of us, the bashful waiter stayed hidden behind the bar for the bulk of our waiting time as he was not only new, but ashamed of the time it took to get food in front of all of his hungry customers out on the terrace. It would have helped to have water and bread to tie us over until the meal came. We were, for the most part, patient and would have appreciated it greatly if he had come over and commiserated with us. The effect a whole bottle of Vino Verde without sustenance made us giddy beyond belief!

At one point, we looked at a table next to us with three diners holding their knives and forks in their fists ready to bang on the table like orphans in a Dickens novel. (after an hour of waiting!) We saw this and just lost it. Pressures from work, life and a shared sorrow for our Dads health took over. We were giggle monsters. It was so lovely. Like the kind of uncontrollable laughter I get when together with my longest-known, best, growing-up, growing adult - growing everything! friends Sio, Hols, Mary - and from this side of the ocean - Lara. Magnificent. The food was pretty good after all that waiting tho! Not sure if it was hunger ot taste, but good anyway.

When I got home, I sat in my garden and just stared at the night sky. It seemed as if everyone was asleep in the neighbourhood as no lghts were on. The Stars were so bright. I decided that the 'Big dipper' was sitting exactly over my garden in the middle of Brussels. So amazing and all my own for the night.

Dad came home from the hospital yesterday. Not necessarily because he's better, but because he couldn't stand getting worse. (A special 'thank you'goes out to a slightly questionable nurse who tried to find a vein for an IV a few days ago and butchered Dad's arm). He's extremely weak and frail. Mom came down with the flu like a ton of bricks last night. The Angel - Family Friend Daniel is there making life worth living. Thank God.

I had a 45-minute conversation phone call with Dad this morning including details of Daniel's dinner last night -when a few friends popped by. Dad loved it and he is regenerated by being home. He's at his best when the acting as the MC for life, news and culture. Dad is still weak, but so happy to be home with Mom, his dog and good friends. He sounded like himself. That's pretty good. Still, keep fingers crossed and thoughts floating their way ...please.

A very special Happy Birthday Today (Saturday June 10) to Aussie Girl who celebrates today - in her own words - 'The First Anniversary of her 30th Birthday'. I love you Aussie girl! Oh, but stop asking me for advice on men - you know me better than that! I have no clue!

Looking for the big dipper....



eleny keep going - miss you