Monday, May 29, 2006

Return to the Death Star

The Mothership is back in the Deathstar loading dock. After my 10 days off and a week on the beach in Normandy, I am facing hundreds of e-mails from crazed colleagues, customers and a few friends. It's funny what passes for urgent in this world when there's war, famine, drought, earthquakes and volcanoes. Even more humorous is how those urgent matters seem to dissipate if you never respond to the calls.

Get things in to perspective people! I only say this because I spent the last 10 days trying to get my life in perspective - that's what holidays are for right? The week before my holiday, I was like a hamster on a spinning wheel and everything was urgent to me too. But I thought about the bigger picture on holiday - what's important?

I thought about my Dad who at age 84 is battling esophageal cancer with the help of his Commander in Chief - Mom. They have the routine down pat. Get something nourishing down Dad's sore and swollen esophagus in the morning to try to counteract the effects of the chemo, drive to Sibley for radiation and then hit a great bakery they just discovered in the neighbourhood of the hospital. Make it a fun afternoon, lunch out, explore the woods seldom roamed. Make it worthwhile and rewarding.

Dad's starting treatment week 3 of 5. Past the halfway point. It will get better. But it gets worse before it gets better. I wonder why I am an ocean away. Mom and Dad are so strong and amazing and they want to put this sickness in to perspective - a project to get through. Absolutely NOT a 'come home' situation to them.

On our Sunday call yesterday, Dad remarked again how lovely Mom is and how women years younger look haggard and tired. He went on about how Mom looks vibrant and healthy at 79. You know, my parents are in love. I love that.

I thought about what's really urgent in life. I finally got through to my friend Ed Wray. The power of prayer. He's a Photographer for AP and is based in Jakarta. When the earthquake hit Central Java, he was in East Timor watching people unravel through revenge, mistrust and hatred. Documenting fear and loathing through his camera lens. Then he returned to Yogyakarta to capture more images of a people with broken hearts. How much can people take? Quite a lot it turns out. Glad he's safe and able to help tell the story of what's happening there.

As I contemplate the many projects thrown my way, the hard work and travel coming up, I think of Bunny Dog. I can't get the image out of my head. I giggle each time I picture it. Bunny Dog - who is not a blood-thirsty animal - graduated from simple above ground rabbit chasing over the last holiday. He started to enter the rabbit holes! Many times I would look over and just see his haunches and wagging tail protruding from a grassy mound in the dunes. Rabbits flying all around him above ground - he never had a clue! Those rabbits are so used to silly dogs.

Snap out of it! What's wrong with me - back to work 'urgent' (stat)

Darth Vader - my boss - is on the line. Gotta go.