Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Lobster Daze

I had a surprise in the mail yesterday. My Rick Stein DVDs arrived. I love Rick Stein. He's a Chef who has done a bunch of awesome series on TV in UK. He's a bonafide star on the Beeb (BBC). And he's my absolute favourite. He built his reputation and empire on fish cookery. He's a champion for fresh locally caught fish. He owns several incredible restaurants in Padstow on the Cornish coast - well, at this point, he and his wife and his company own pretty much all of Padstow.

Rick Stein gets so excited and passionate about food. The freshness, the simplicity, the importance of well cooked, simple ingredients. It's not unusual for him to stop and read classic literature or quote a famous lover of art and life when he's talking about food.

Anyway - I have hours of Rick Stein at my leisure. I am supposed to wait until I go home to DC for a visit and share them with Mom - but who cares, I could watch him over and over again. What's that noise Homer Simpson makes when he sees doughnuts? Something like .... Aghghlghllgh drool drool. That's me and my Rick Stein. oh, this lobster dish he made in one episode of his Seafood Odyssey Series - he makes his own Indian masala paste - with roasted red peppers, a bit of tamarind water, lime juice, cumin, coriander, black pepper, and cayenne - whooshes up to a paste in the processor. He heats some ground nut oil in a pan, tosses in a great big blop of the paste, cooks it until it splits and adds the meat from a cooked lobster which has been cut in to chunks. He tosses it around and gets the lobster meat well coated. Then he stuffs the meat back in to the half shells (which have been warmed in the oven) and serves. It's so yummy looking.

I stayed up late last night watching an instalment of his Britain's Food Heroes series.

I would be glued to Rick Stein tonight also, but I am going out. Bunny Dog and I are meeting the lovely Lara for a drink. Lara's birthday is in a couple days so we will have her pressie in hand. Oh, and - Watch out men. We are in the mood.

It's still hot as an oven here and I do hope it will cool off this evening. I can't take much more of this. I am melting in to my office chair - well, kinda. I m sticking with my wet paper towel routine - so what if I look like a freak with wet paper towel plastered to my arms and forehead - it makes me feel freshie.

Dreaming of Lobster