Tuesday, January 15, 2008

The Joys of January


There's nothing like being in a whole city full of people with cabin fever. Everyone is raring to go out and dance and move and drink fancy cocktails and shake off those mid-winter cobwebs. Kitty O'Shea's, Hairy Canary, James Joyce, Wild Geese, Celtica, O'Reillys, Nua - here I come.

Work was in hyperdrive after my long holiday in the States. I have spent many late nights working and have already done quite a bit of travelling this year.

Holiday was nice but very long. I got to spend some time with the amazing 'girls' the greatest group of beautiful, professional, genuine, intelligent and creative, loving people on the planet. The best group of friends ever.

Mom went on strike the minute I walked in the door of her new apartment in DC. She no longer served herself, cooked for herself or drove anywhere. The theme for the two weeks was a bit like the movie 'Driving Miss Daisy' punctuated with the tag line 'Why is my glass empty?' (champagne glass of course)... I think I got the beginnings of repetitive motion strain from opening champagne bottles over the holiday.

I had a wonderful 2nd annual dim sum non-holiday party - which included a very professional and convincing performance of a vomiting child played by one of my friend Lisa's kids. Was fun! Excitement had by all!

So, back in Brussels. It's raining like mad. Cold, fat wet drops of rain just slamming on my office window. I'll take a quick break and enjoy my Steven Klein Calendar of the French Rugby Union team - yum.

I have 6 mails from friends wanting to meet up this weekend. I have arranged to have Bunny Dog sleep over at his dog walker's on Saturday night so I can meet up with some of them. Want to hear a band at the Wild Geese that night - fancy the keyboard player - he chatted me up one night at Kitty O'Shea's.

And the real joy of January is that Master Chef is on each night! It's like heaven for me! But this time around, the contestants don't seem as skilled as in previous years. All of my friends agree. And there's something quite odd about these contestants. There's rarely a stand-out in each group and if they stand out, it's because they look normal. One friend is convinced that all the cooks are rubbish and John and Gregg are just choosing the one they can stand to look at more than once. The contestants are really wonky this year - and their teeth!! My god. I thought that British teeth were improving - but no - Master Chef proves that this is not so. These people have meat-grinders for teeth at best. geez. Sorry. teeth matter to me - I don't think it's just an American thing - but they do. Says something about self worth and taking care of oneself you know??

Anyway - back to the food. Not so amazing this year, but always nice to see what people will do to win a competition. And ever so fun to watch John and Gregg eat under/over-cooked onions, burnt meat, raw eggs, and baby sick-looking desserts!

Anyway - adventures new start this year - I am really on the hunt for Mr. Right - and I will take you along for the ride!