Thursday, January 24, 2008

Mr. Handsome Does it Right


Over the past two days I have had the flu. A weird kind of sinus flu. Someone will probably say it's a virus or something but the fact is - I have been sick. I had laryngitis over the weekend which is odd for me - I usually never lose my voice(how could I whinge without my voice??) Should have known something was up. Tuesday I woke up feeling rather badly. Went to work anyway and things got worse.

My sinuses were painfully tight and my throat was very sore. I managed to stay up for Master Chef Tuesday night but had to hit the hay immediately afterwards. My whole body felt like crap - well, like I had the flu. Problem. Sleep wouldn't come to me. I couldn't put my head down or lie down for the pain in my sinuses. It was terrible. I think I got 2 hours of fitful sleep. Bunny dog had tired of me flinging my comforter about and sneezing, whining and snorting (pretty huh?) He was up in the loft - or perhaps sleeping on his friend the 'old sofa' in the back bedroom.

Either way - this silly Bunny Dog had abandoned me when I needed cuddling most - and to make matters worse, when you live alone - you gotta get up and walk the darned dog no matter how you feel. Wednesday morning I somehow got up and walked him in the park - but I don't remember exactly. I think I wore my pyjamas under my long coat and some Wellies without socks. The dog walker did come and give Bunny Dog a nice hour-long romp at lunchtime, but the thought of getting out of my warm bed and having to walk the dog at dinner time and late night was too much. I kept avoiding the thought until later.

Throughout the day on Wednesday I checked my blackberry for important work mails. I propped it up on the bedside table and periodically came out of my daze long enough to open one eye and see if the light was red. One mail was from Mr. Handsome -I replied that I was in bed and close to death. He mailed back and told me to quit being so dramatic and to get better. Fair enough...

I made it through the mealtime walkies and then took an evening nap. I was dreading the last walk of the night when something very nice happened.

Mr. Handsome showed up at my door with mint tea and biscuits. He made me tea, wrapped me in a duvet on the couch, put the biscuits in front of me, turned on the telly and then took Bunny Dog for his last walkies. What a total Gentleman.

Just the thoughtfulness of it all. When I kept gushing about how nice it was for him to come over he reminded me that each time he fell ill or was under the weather, I had offered to pick up anything for him, bring him anything he needed or come over and cook for him. He was repaying the kindness. And he wanted to see me looking terrible for blackmail purposes....

You know, there are very few people in this world made of real class and kindness.

Mr. Handsome to save the day