Monday, January 29, 2007

Farewell Chalky

The dog of my favourite chef - Rick Stein- passed away a couple weeks ago. I am upset about it for many reasons. One, that Chalky is the same type of dog as Bunny Dog and the two have very similar characteristics and personalities so I could relate to the sadness of losing his close companion. Chalky is my favourite part of Rick Stein's cooking shows on TV and on his DVDs. Chalky would ride in fishing boats, run along the beach, roll in seaweed, climb the dunes, explore garden and frolic in the sun happily trotting along at Rick's heels. Rick posted a note and the following prose on his website about Chalky and his long, full life - 17 years old. Here's to Chalky.

THERE is sorrow enough in the natural way
From men and women to fill our day;
And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
Why do we always arrange for more?
Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
Rudyard Kipling