Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Hotel Cure


Sorry for the delay in writing. I have been so busy with work and feeling a bit like I am losing my sense of humour. I have also been travelling a lot.

Monday and Tuesday I went to Dublin for a bunch of meetings. I have been winging around by plane, train and car for the last couple months and am really exhausted. Luckily, my holiday is only a couple weeks away.

On this last trip, I felt the need to spoil myself a little bit so I booked myself in to a 5-star boutique hotel in Dublin - called The Dylan Hotel.

The Dylan Hotel is scrumptious. Really. My every need was meticulously catered for and my room had the coolest gadgets, equipment, super elegant soaps, vanity kits, shoe shine, excellent mini bar and really amazing furniture. Just sitting on the bed made me drool. (not really, but I wanted to)

I am used to pretty nice hotels, but I usually have to hit the hotels that cater for the typical business traveller. All of us lugging our super small overnight suitcases and our laptop briefcases over our shoulders. Grouchy because we had a long day and need some sanity and sleep.

I have a hotel routine. When I get in to the room - I do a 20-second recon on all of the amenities making sure there's a hair dryer, iron, face washcloth (not standard in Europe), check the TV, and the lock on the door. Then I carefully unpack and hang/up or lay out my clothes for the next day with the suitcase all ready for fast packing in the morning. In the bathroom, I lay out the bath mat and check the plumbing - ALWAYS check the plumbing. In Europe, do not take for granted that showers and faucets are easy to use or even work - no matter how many stars the hotel has. (I forgot to do this when in Montpellier a couple months ago and after a very long night out with my VP and many too many Mojito's, I discovered the shower function didn't work in my room - running late as it was, and I ended up laying down in the tub to get my hair washed under the tap - very nice and elegant and classy.) Often in England the sink in the bathroom has a hot water tap and a cold water tap - so you can't regulate the temp of water out of the faucet, you have to fill the sink with a little of both to get the right temp and splash from there - hate that soooo much.

Ok - after all checks have been done I work or relax or work out or eat or whatever. I do my hotel thing. Most of the time I channel surf TV stations I don't usually have access to. If I am late arriving to the hotel, I usually order room service for dinner. I don't like to eat alone in a hotel restaurant. When I do, I get hit on all the time and frankly, I don't have the willpower to resist half of those times. No strings attached, pure pleasure, steamy, sex with a good looking businessman I don't ever have to see in the morning or call is pretty tempting. I am trying to be good though!

At the Dylan - I was so in love with my room (and completely exhausted anyway) there was no thought of going down to the fancy bar and resto for me. I was going to have 5 star, in-room dining, a hot bath with rose petals and then sink in to the delicious bed. Had I wanted hotel tryst, the fancy mini bar in my room thoughtfully included an 'Intimacy kit' - complete with condoms, and hygienic wash packets - how sweet! Wonder what the refrigeration does to a condom?

Anyway - after a wonderful night, sleeping like and angel, I woke to the splendor of my room and was instantly in a good mood. I love beds set on really high frames with huge thick mattresses. And I love jumping down from the bed in the morning - it feels so luxurious. Showered, pampered myself and dressed for my meeting, I went down to breakfast. The dining room was incredible - Very Alice in Wonderland with harlequin-studded, cushioned booths in ivory velvet and each table in the middle set with curved back chairs. The end of the room was dramatically set with chairs with huge tall backs shaped like the Mad Hatter's hat.

Breakfast was a bit dissapointing. I think if anything, a hotel should be able to make a good plate of eggs. And that's really the only thing this place screwed up a bit. It didn't matter because a handsome maitre'd chatted to me through breakfast and practically wiped toast crumbs from my lips as and when needed.

The hotel set me off for a wonderful day and I had several meetings with a customer which all went well. I was in such a good mood, I radiated happiness. I was on form and sharp.

Even at the end of a very long day, in the pouring rain and wind, I made it to the airport with a smile. And that's saying something, because Dublin airport is like going to a cheap holiday camp. Long lines, people, disorganisation and garbagy crap all over the place.

By the time I got to my gate - with a serious detour through the duty free perfume and Clinique counters I was just about to lose my shine when I locked eyes with Mr. Hottie at gate A27.

Not to exaggerate or anything, but he was absolutely, totally, amazingly, the perfect guy for me. 6 ft 4 or so, brown hair, blue eyes, about my age, nice suit - not OTT style, prominent nose, good teeth (a must), a very slight tan, strong hands, and a smile directed right at me - Yum - eee.

OK - we chatted. Our planes delayed in the bad weather he bought me a smoothie. Planes delayed again, he bought me a drink. My plane was delayed again, he bought me another drink and we had a small bite to eat. Then, all of a sudden, my flight was ready to go sooner than the expected delay and we had to scramble back to the gate. Damn.

Oh what I could have done!!! One more delay and I would have called the Dylan hotel and asked for my room back!.....And an extra 'Intimacy Kit'.

http://www.dylan.ie/gallery.php