Thursday, September 24, 2009

Food TV Addict



It's getting out of hand. The amount of foodie TV on BBC is overwhelming. And the real problem is that I love it. I love it too much. I'm addicted. I can't get enough. Last night's scheduled programming - a foodie TV overdose.

Last night I watched, The Hairy Bikers food tour of Britain, Nigel Slaters' simple suppers, and back-to-back episodes of Master Chef: The Professionals. When 11pm came around - I was in a food TV coma.

I watched over 50 plates of food being prepared on TV last night. Made my head spin!!

And for goodness sake, how do you decide what to make for dinner when watching all those options?

I can't remember half of what I do at work. But I do have incredible brain capacity for two things - in this order.

1. Food - What I ate for dinner last night or anytime in the past, what I am going to make for dinner tonight, what is in my fridge for dinner, what is in the cupboards for dinner and anything really, related to dinner....

2. I know every item of Gap clothing from between 1989 and 1996 - (1000s) and in which collection they first appeared. I know! It's a gift! My favourite collections being 'Lifeboat' - for it's class and jaunty weekend elegance and 'Picnic'- for being the most entertaining, garish crap anyone has ever spent money on.

I digress...

Back to number 1. In the back of my head, I always have a complete inventory of the ingredients in fridge and what I want to cook, serve and eat for dinner. I subconsciously prepare dinner in my mind while multitasking at work - women can do this...So for dinner last night, I had planned to simply roast the two little birds in my fridge (Cornish game hens) with an apricot glaze. Then I started watching foodie TV.....which led me to consider the following cooking options

Spatchcocked grilled and served with Portuguese pepper sauce
Moroccan stylee in my lovely tagine - Ras el Hanout and cous cous
Stuffed with wild rice and served with mushroom sauce
Glazed with reduced pomegranate juice
Roasted with oranges and Fennel
Roasted with thyme under the skin served with orzo and pine nuts
on and on



Well. Needless to say - the silly birds are still in my fridge! I couldn't decide what to do with them and eventually it was too late to cook and eat. Plus, I was glued to the TV anyway.

Now, don't get the idea that I just sit there all night eating and that I am getting to be the size of Jabba the Hut!! I am not! Last night, like many nights, I did my work-out DVD between The Hairy Bikers and Nigel Slater...and of course, I took Bunny Dog for his evening constitutional. Tonight I shall go bike riding too.

I have a lot of work to do today - in the back of my mind I will be planning a sumptuous and sensual supper for Saturday night...