Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Sexy Food


Regularly, I make food for someone I refer to as my 'food boyfriend'. He's an ex (truly) but we are still tied to one another through our mutual love of good food. He's the best eater I know and completely appreciates the effort that goes in to each meal. He 'gets' me in a food way not many people do. He understands my need for a challenge and to show off and cook as a way of showing love.

When I ask him what he wants for dinner, he knows not to ever say the words 'oh, anything' or 'whatever you like'. That's non committal. That's an answer from someone with anything other than food on their minds. And if you know me, you know that's not the right answer. I want specifics. I want to know exactly what would make your heart beat faster in anticipation of the meal. I want to know what you have been craving. Because for me, feeding the need, the desire, is what gives me a buzz.

I also like the challenge. Although sometimes I get a bit caught out. Not with technically tough things as I usually prepare well in advance, but with those dishes I think I can whip out in no time after work! The other night - great example. A seafood lasagna. Technically - easy peasy. Time and effort... nightmare. Prep a lot of seafood (including shrimp) , make enough bechamel for an army, assemble lasagna, grate cheese etc. Make salad, prep garlic bread. I was exhausted by the time the lasagna went in the oven. It was worth it though. It tasted delicious. And most of all, it was appreciated and loved. And bonus - only one pan to clear after dinner!

This Saturday night I have offered to cook a sensuous meal for another friend. He gets the foodie thing too. He's a good cook himself. He's suggested things he likes. Things he wants. Good start....

Did you catch the word 'sensuous'up there? Sure you did. Now, exactly what I meant by that, I don't know. I don't know why I said it. I'm not thinking the 9 1/2Weeks kind of thing - spread-eagled on the kitchen floor having whipped cream and jars of condiments poured over me and slurping raw oysters off each other's bums - although I guess that depends on how much Champers we drink....

I have learned the hard way that cooking in lingerie is seldom a good idea...I wasn't planning on blindfolds or anything kinky like that...I haven't rented My Dinner with Andre or The Last Tango in Paris or anything. I won't do strawberries in chocolate like served at a white trash wedding on Valentines day. I think I'll just make some damned nice food and serve some damned nice wine and enjoy the appreciative company.

Maybe I'll visit the jungle drawer for some inspiration...